Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Baby Has Heartburn?

At about 4 weeks old, Ash started having strange symptoms...hesitation while eating, congestion, arching her back & restlessness in her sleep. We took her to the pediatrician.

**Her doctor is Dr. John Bean at Old Pueblo Pediatrics. If you or anyone you know is looking for a pediatrician, I really recommend this office! The other doc, Dr. Delp is great, too!**

She was diagnosed with acid reflux! My poor little baby! She was put on Zantac, which took about 5 days, but took away her symptoms.

Then they came back. She was put on ANOTHER med (omeprezole, or Prilosec) in addition to her Zantac. My now 3 month old baby takes TWO prescribed medicines twice a day. It is a problem that she will eventually outgrow, but for now, these help control her symptoms!

**I also read recently that caffeine consumed by a nursing mom can effect a baby. Some babies are sensitive to caffeine, and have trouble metabolising it. Over time, it builds up and can cause restlessness. So, I've decided to give up ALL caffeine. I'm not sure if this info is accurate or even relevant to Ashley, but it is worth a try to let my girl sleep peacefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment