Thursday, April 7, 2011

Surgery Day

also titled - Kicking Cancer's Ass.

My whole family joined me for surgery day...Marshall, Ashley, mom, dad and Emi! (Everybody at the hospital was CrAzY about my baby...naturally!) I started my journey in the basement of UMC, in nuclear medicine. Sounds interesting, high tech and cool...but was actually the worst part of my day. I'll just say this now, UMC is full of awesome staff! From nuclear medicine, to ambulatory surgery, everyone made me feel very comfortable. I had four little injections (VERY painful little injections!) of radioactive dye. OUCH!

From there, my day moved quite quickly. I checked into ambulatory surgery. I said goodbye to Marsh & Ash there (and held back tears, I did NOT want my husband to leave me). My mom came back to surgery-prep, asked questions for me and sat while I got my IV, relaxy drugs, then we said goodbye and I was wheeled back to surgery.

...and then I woke up! I don't remember a thing, obviously. I made my way through two levels of recovery, had my pain managed, chatted every nurse's ear off, and was released!

Today, I am in pain of course, but nothing out of the ordinary. My doctor said it's still about a 25% chance that my lymph nodes are affected but he sounded optimistic! I will know more on Monday or Tuesday. I am in good spirits, staying strong and positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment