Tonight, our movie was It's Kind Of A Funny Story. It stars Zack Galfanakis, Emma Roberts, and a kid I've never seen, as patients in an adult psych ward dealing with different forms of mental illness. It's really kind of insightful...I've seen people struggle with depression or bipolar disorder, but never on the level that they need in-patient treatment. The story mostly focuses on Craig, a 16-year-old smart kid who admits himself for psychiatric treatment. Throughout whole movie, I went back and forth between whether or not this guy is dramatizing normal teenage stress for attention, or if he really needed this help. I would really recommend this movie for people who feel mental illness is bullshit, made up, not a valid disorder, or an excuse. It's funny, I have always compared needing meds for a mental illness to needing meds for diabetes or cancer...they're both necessary, both physical. But for some reason there's some sort of stigma attached to needing meds for a mental illness. The psychiatrist in this movie described it just like I do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment