Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Books We Love Hit The Big Screen

Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling!
It's always interesting to see the books we've read adapted into films. I can't remember a book turned movie that was a fair adaptation (in my opinion, of course). Most of the time we loved the book, liked the movie, missed the parts that we thought were important but the movie makers cut.
There's only been one movie (so far) that I thought was better than the book...Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook. I'm sure a LOT of people would disagree, but the book was sort of a chore and the movie was very sweet.
Twilight. Oh, Twilight (Stephanie Meyer). I've only read two books, and only seen those two movies. The books were sort of cute, teen love story mixed with a bit of traditional monster stories. The movies are teenage angsty, emo, longing, cheesy movies. Dislike! I'd be pissed if I was Stephanie Meyer...either pissed at the filmmakers for screwing up my story, or pissed at myself for selling out.
The Lovely Bones (Alice Seabold): such an emotional, almost hard to read yet couldn't put it down, chill inducing story. The movie was pretty. Like visually appealing heaven scenes...didn't really match up to the story we read.
Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - can't WAIT for the movies!
Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling), Percy Jackson & The Olympians (Rick Riordan) and The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) are the big ones. Marshall would have never read the HP series pre-Alison, but since I was such a fan he gave it a chance and loved them. We both love the movies, too, but there are BIG differences. It's hard to fit 700 pages into 150 minutes. We watched Percy Jackson and loved it, so we decided to read the series. It was great! The movie was missing some great details, but again a story has to be cut down to fit! We're hoping the rest of the Percy Jackson series are turned into movies! The Hunger Games movie comes out next year, we hope it's as great as the books.

We just finished reading Water For Elephants (Sara Gruen). The movie is in theatres now...the book was awesome! And I hear the movie is beautiful. We'll catch it when it hits On Demand or Redbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment